How come out as trans!

Reaction score
How should I come out as trans?​
This is a personal thing for every trans person and no two people will have the same response/reaction. So, what I think you’re asking for (and I hope subsequent respondents will provide) is how WE did it. Then you can synthesize those answers with how YOU feel, and come up with your own unique answer.

For me, I boiled it down to: do I, or do I not, give a shit about feeling EMBARRASSED? I came out at 49 but was a “crossdresser” for many years previously. I was always hideously afraid of “what will I do if one of my friends finds out I like to wear dresses?” So, I hid.

One by one, by accident, several of them did. And they were all like. “Yeah, ok, whatever floats your boat”. And then I realized. This doesn’t actually matter to most people. Or rather, it’s NOT a deal-breaker for most people.

So, then I just said “screw it” and came out publicly, to 500 people at once on Facebook. And I’ve never looked back :)

Reaction score
How should you come out as trans? I wish I could give you a simple answer but I cannot because I do not know everyone around you and I do not know you. The problem is coming out as a person of transgender experience is a very personal journey. The journey is full of pitfalls, snares, traps, hatred, misguided loyalty, and trust. I can only say to be completely honest with everyone and most importantly be honest with yourself. You will not start your transition alone because not only do you transition but everyone around you is also in a process of transitioning themselves. These are some people that you may not even know.

The reason for this is every time that you meet someone new, they will start their process of transition and they do not even know that they are in a transition. You may find that some will want you to stay as your old self. What they do not realize is if you stay as your old self long enough you will go into depression and then into suicidal thoughts from gender dysphoria. I myself started my transition because I did not want to commit suicide. The more you bottle up your feelings about being transgender the closer you become to depression. This cycle will feed upon itself only making things worse. I would try some of the online transgender tests to see just how where you really are on the transgender spectrum.

I have always been a strong advocate for every transgender person to see a therapist who deals with transgender people. This will also help you in ways that you may not even be aware of. I will say this when I started my path of gender transition, I did so know full well that I might lose everything and end up living homeless on the streets. The most important point is worth repeating and that is to Be completely honest with everyone and most importantly be honest with yourself.​

Reaction score
How should I come out as trans?​
I personally came out after a lot of emotional turmoil as my dad had always said a lot of transphobic things that made it terrifying to think about coming out as trans.

There are a lot of ways to get out. Some are definitely better than others.

One thing that I would be sure of before coming out is if you are 100% trans. It makes me sad to hear about people who have had to detransition because they had other things in their life that gave them the impression, that they had a gender incongruence when it was something else, like trauma, body dysmorphia, etc.

For me, I came out through a Facebook post after talking to my closest friends and my parents personally through text. I explained all of my dysphoria and how much it has affected my life. I’ve found that explaining to the best of your ability how it feels helps make some of the reception of you coming out to be at least a little bit more positive.

The biggest thing I recommend is coming out one on one with the people you’re closest to. That could be face to face, in a letter, or like me, via text.

The last thing I want to leave you with is to be sure that you’re in a safe environment and that you’re completely ready to come out. As much as it sucks, sometimes, it can be so much safer to stay in the closet until you can get out of your current situation.​

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.