Identify as transgender!

Reaction score
I believe that gender identity is a bit fluid in some children. When my son decided at around age 4 that he wanted to be a girl, I let him! He became her, she wore dresses and sparkling nail polish, and sparkling pink shoes. We called her by the name she picked and called her the little sister. A year later, my child said they wanted to try being a boy again.

Sure! Haircut, boy clothes, back to old name. After a while, he decided to be kind of in between. More “gender neutral”. Sure! When puberty approaches, we can talk again. As for now, we let our children lead the way as to how they are feeling.

I think the only problem with labeling a child as transgender comes from the same problem as labeling them as cisgender. It allows less room for exploration. Some kids really are solidly one or the other, but I think more than a few are less sure of who they are at a young age.​

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I knew I was a girl, even though no one really sat down and explained it to me. I liked dresses and playing outside with horses. It wasn't something I consciously thought about, I just knew I was a girl without labeling it.

A Transgender child will know within themselves that they are a girl or a boy. They will know if they want to wear a dress or trousers or if they want to grow up as a boy or a girl.

If you asked a little boy if he wanted to be a man or a woman when he grew up, you'd probably make them laugh and they would tell you ‘I want to be a man, silly’

It is as simple of an answer for many children that are Transgender. They may strongly resist wearing clothes of a certain gender, playing with stereotypical gender-specific toys, using their birth sex pronouns, growing or cutting their hair, and may become depressed, withdrawn and very distressed.

This, of course, is not the case for all Transgender children, but I personally know that if someone had made me cut my hair, dress in boys' clothes, and be referred to as male, I would have hated it and protested at every opportunity and screamed that I am a girl.

I knew my gender identity without anyone stamping it on my head. A Transgender child knows who they are too.

Give children some credit. They may not work or be able to vote but they know who they are inside from an early age. No one is talking about life-altering surgery, but simply being able to identify and experience the world in the gender they truly know they are.​

Reaction score
Most definitely, I had a childhood friend who was born female but he liked to dress in overalls and t-shirts instead of dresses and girly clothes, and often as Mario and other male characters that he liked. He was also attracted to girls more so than boys, and never really got why. He didn’t like Barbie and all those girly things and preferred playing video games and Gunplay building. He only got along with the boys and not really the girls.

He later figured out he wanted to be a guy, and so he is now a FtoM transgender who is happily married :)

I feel like way more kids would show signs of wanting to be a transgendered person, but they just don’t understand what it is because schools are being unconstitutional and never teach kids about LGBT feelings or relationships, even in sex ed classes, which they most definitely should be educating because same-sex relationships will always exist, and kids should be told of precautions that come with it, and that these feelings are ok. Religion has no place in schools, but they continue to act in such an unconstitutional manner which is BS.

Reaction score
Can young children really identify as transgender?​
I know that at least for me and a few other people I know who are trans, I've always known. I think the first time I realized I felt like a boy I was probably 5 or 6. Sure, I didn't have the language to fully understand what I felt, but I knew. I wouldn't say that's the case for all trans people since I don't know what other people feel, but from my experiences, yes, a child can know they are trans.​

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.