I'm a lesbian!

Reaction score
Should I tell friends and family that I'm a lesbian?
Can't keep it a secret forever. Your life needs to be lived, so sooner or later they will have to deal with it. If they support you, great, otherwise you need to keep moving on, one way or the other.

For your own mental rest/balance you need to get it off your chest. Remember, you did nothing wrong.

Reaction score
Keeping a secret is uncomfortable especially when you've been keeping it for a long time. The country is being more and more open to these Lesbians. If the President is okay with it, what more with your parents or friends? Just expect them to be shocked at first but they'll eventually return to their usual selves once they get the hang of it. Good Luck!

Reaction score
I would say "there's a time and a place for everything".

When the timing is right, you will know. There will be people you simply didn't come out to... and will forget to come out to, and one day you'll show up to a function with a lovely lady friend and they'll mutter under their breath "I always knew she was a Lez!" and you'll notice but not care ;)

Just do you. It's your life... tell whoever is important to you in a manner you see fit. If you don't want to deal with telling Grandma today, don't! Tell your mom/dad first - and then when you bring your GF home for the holidays, and Grandma asks about a boyfriend, you can say "Well, Grammy, I don't like boys... sorry! But this is Sheila (ex.) and she's pretty great!"

In a public setting like that where quite a few folks know already, it's unlikely for them to be rude or cast judgment - then she can sit and stew in it for a moment and let it sink in. Seeing you happy and healthy: no one can be angry with you. (Which people do get angry sometimes - as if it has anything to do with them!)

I'd say build up confidence - start with people you think will have the reaction of "(LOL) well we already know that Hun, but thanks for letting me know formally... can we get back to talking trash about work?" so you feel like it's not a big deal to be gay... which it's not. Acceptance is pretty widespread among youth.

Reaction score
Should I tell friends and family that I'm a lesbian?
Tell friends and family that you are a lesbian once you are legally termed as an adult, not earlier. It will be legally binding on your parents to be the guardians so long as you are a minor. Friends may want to help but by law you cannot be granted any support as a minor.

By the time you are an adult, they would have guessed it anyway.

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.