Parents Reaction!

Reaction score
How did your parents react to you coming out as LGBTQ?​
I told my dad about my problem and announced that I wanted to do something about then. That was way back when, and my dad threatened to throw me out of the family if I did anything. But both my parents were dead when I transitioned. I believe “queer” or “weird” is a term used by people who don't understand, saying we’re not “straight", so we’re unusual. Well, I've got news for them. They found out in the early 90s that more people are transsexual than have MS. Does that mean MS is weird or unusual? If it does, a lot of famous inventors and entertainers are weird and unusual.​

Reaction score
How did your parents react to you coming out as LGBTQ?​
I came out as gay to my mum when I was about in my early 20s, so this was about 35 years ago roughly. I had just got a new boyfriend, and I was about to stay with him over Christmas. So, I left my mum a note just as I was leaving for the weekend. I told her that I was gay and that I had a new boyfriend, and that I was going to spend Christmas with him.

When I got back after the weekend, she’d put a note on my bed to say thank you for telling her, that she had guessed a long time ago, (in retrospect, I think she’d known longer than me), and as long as I was clean and discreet, I was still her son, and she still loved me. And she baked a Christmas cake to take to Trevor’s, (my new boyfriend). We never really mentioned it after that. But I do feel guilty for disappearing for days at a time. Not from the point of view of my mother, but from the point of view of my dog.

I never came out to The Old Man because he was an ignorant, selfish, self-centered, not very intelligent cunt, and because he was very deaf and would never wear a hearing aid. So, I didn’t fancy shouting at him at the top of my voice that I was gay. And in any case, in the words of Patrick Swayze in the film “To Wong Foo”, his approval was neither required nor desired!​

Reaction score
They basically said “okay”. I didn't sit them down and say “I'm asexual and aromantic” though. I knew I was asexual at first. My mom was explaining Asexuality to me when she was driving us home from school. I said something like “oh yeah that sounds like me. That's who I am” boom. Came out, I guess.

Then, I found out I was aromantic. This was two years after I found out I was ace. At the time, I was writing a story, and I was making different “mood boards” for them. I wanted to get the feel of who they were. So, it had their name, pronouns, sexuality, and other stuff they liked and wore in the story. I decided to do one for myself, despite my not being in the story.

And in the middle of it, I put the Aroace flag in the middle. When I showed my parents all of them, I forgot I put that there. My dad didn't ask what it was, but my mom did. “The Aroace flag” and she said “Oh, cool. These look good!” and left my room. So, yeah. The first time it wasn't directly me stating my sexuality. And the second time, it was accidental.​

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.