Please help with a very ignorant question

Reaction score
Hello all-
I am an FNP student here making an attempt to better understand some recommendations I have recently received regarding neutral language and use of anatomy terminology when caring for people and discussing sexual health. My concern is that I have typically found that people are less comfortable discussing sexual issues when the professional they are working with uses colloquialisms rather than anatomical descriptions, yet it seems that the recommendations I am receiving indicate that naming a person's genitals anatomically is not acceptable or neutral language. I'm afraid that encouraging medical professionals, and the people they are there to assist, not to explicitly discuss one's full body is likely to be detrimental in the long run.

Can anyone help shed light on the issue of neutral language as it relates to anatomical terminology, and the best way to address sexual health, menstrual cycles, phenotypical development, etc from the standpoint of the LGBTQ+ community?

Reaction score
An additional probably more ignorant question...for those born genetically female but transitioning to male, identify as male or non-binary...or the opposite, for those born male and transitioning or identify as female or non-binary...is anyone willing to have a candid discussion on your thoughts on pregnancy and becoming (or not being able to become) pregnant?

Please do keep in mind, this is absolutely not for any research studies. This information will not be published. It is for me to be able to personally learn and understand. In the spirit of privacy, given the nature of the discussions, please feel free to email me: [email protected]

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.