Queer vs. Pansexual

Reaction score
What is the difference between queer and pansexual?
As a genderqueer pansexual, I see “queer” as an umbrella term used to describe anyone lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or non-cisgender or non-heterosexual. It’s beneficial to indicate inclusiveness, which is very important to folks in our community having been excluded so much during our lives. Queer has been used about either sexual orientation OR gender identity, or both. Queer used to be an insult hurled at LGBT folks; we’ve since taken ownership of the word and redefined it as a positive term. As neither male nor female, I like and identify with the word genderqueer.
1674382281341.png
Pansexual, on the other hand, refers explicitly to sexual orientation. While a bisexual person is attracted to binary males and females (whether they are transgender or cisgender), someone who identifies as pansexual can potentially be attracted to anyone regardless of how they gender-express or gender-identify. I am more likely to be attracted to the person INSIDE than the outside appearance of an individual.

Reactions: kellybelly
Reaction score
Queer is an umbrella term, which means that it means all sexualities and non-binary genders. You're queer if you're gay, gender fluid, bi, pan, trans, ace and many more. Pansexual means that you have no preference in gender when it comes to love, and you can like someone for their personality instead of looks or both or looks.

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.