Queer vs. Trans!

Reaction score
Transgender, or just trans for short, refers to a person having a gender identity that doesn’t match their assigned birth sex. So, for example, a person who is assigned female at birth, but identifies as male, would be transgender. Transgender also can include nonbinary people (such as myself). These i.e. people neither identify as full women nor entirely men, although in practice not all nonbinary people will identify as transgender. A person who is not trans is cis.
1673790805350.png
Queer is a reclaimed slur frequently used as an identifier for any sexuality that is not straight or heterosexual. “Queer” has historically been used as a slur, and its use as a sexual identity is a reclaiming of the slur. Because of this, never use the term “queer” to refer to people unless you know they identify and/or are comfortable being referred to that way. Doing so otherwise could come across as very rude or offensive.

As a sexual identity, queer is broad and is an umbrella term. It can include both simple identities like being gay or homosexual or being bisexual, as well as other sexual identities that a person might not feel fits into simple labels like gay or bi. For example, many nonbinary people identify as “queer” because the labels like “gay” and “straight” use a binary gender as their reference point, and nonbinary people don’t fit into this framework. People also might use the label because they feel their sexuality is complex or challenging to describe, and they primarily want to communicate that they’re not straight.

Reaction score
What is the difference between transgender and queer?
Queer is an umbrella term for the whole LGBTQIA+ category. I like Queer because then I don't have to say LGBTQIA+. I appreciate and respect all groups the acronym represents, but I wouldn't say I like the acronym. Queer makes sense. Queer is short and sweet. The abbreviation is never good enough, constantly changing, and frequently weaponized by exclusionists. For example, some insist the proper acronym is LGB, and everything else is fake. It leaves too much to be desired. Queer is perfect.

Anyway.

Trans is a type of Queer. Trans people have a different gender than those assigned at birth. Simple.

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.