queerrr

Reaction score
How are all of you? I prefer to identify as queer rather than bisexual since the prefix "bi" in the term "bisexual" suggests a belief in the gender binary, and I think it's a bit excluding to genderqueer individuals and others like them. In other words, I'm a female who is about to graduate from college. Even though I'm out and proud in the LGBT community at college, my parents remain in the dark about my orientation; nonetheless, there are occasions when I find myself wondering whether they could have possibly predicted. I've recently made the decision that I want to come out as gay to both of my parents before I complete my education, and the prospect gives me chills. They are Catholic, my mother more fervently so than my dad, and even though they are liberal and say it's great that my college is such an accepting place, they still just haven't had much experience with this sort of thing and gender issues and issues of sexuality are things they just don't think about (for instance, I don't know how many times I've had to explain to my father why he can't refer to my old MTF trans roommate as "he"). I don' I also worry that the fact that I'm not completely lesbian will cause confusion, and that people will try to brush it off as some sort of phase or something, especially since I'll have to admit that yes, I like straight guys too. I fear that this will cause them to try to brush it off as something meaningless.

In any case, I'm quite anxious and concerned about it, and all I want is some support from fellow gay hippies. Do you have any words of wisdom to share? How did you break the news to your parents that you were gay?

Reaction score
I wish you the best of success, however I do think that about the bi thing, you should come out as bi (well it depends of which side of the bi scale you are on)

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.