Senseless?

Reaction score
Is the labeling of sexual orientation senseless?
1662471506684.png

Personally, I think humans should stop labeling themselves so much. We’ve created so many ways to label, analyze, isolate and divide ourselves. I could say that I’m a homosexual, white, male, liberal, isolated, relaxed, straight-A human with a higher risk of cancer, death, and mental illness, but I choose to say that I’m a human being. As we all are.

Reaction score
To be honest, I don’t see sexual orientation as a life label. It just simply defines who you are attracted to, not who you are in life.

I am straight. I don’t make decisions “because I am straight.” I make decisions based on my best judgment.

But does labeling happen because of sexual orientation, and is it senseless? Most of the time, yes. In June of 2016, the gay nightclub Pulse was targeted in the deadliest mass shooting in American history. It was because of their anti-LGBT label that they were targeted, and the shooting further gained movement for the advancement of LGBT rights. This attack was senseless, but it is up to us to look at this point of sad history and learn from this. And progress.​

Reaction score
Not only do I not find these labels senseless, but I also find them useful. If I start to catch feelings for somebody, I want to know if they even have the potential to like me back. If I like a guy, but he’s gay, I want to be made aware of that as early as possible so I know to back off. Being aware of other people’s sexualities allows you to respect them, and know if it’s okay to pursue them.

Also, I don’t know many people who orient their lives around their sexualities. I’m bi, but that’s never directly affected my personality or behavior. I just happen to have a more varied dating pool than I once thought. Sexuality is certainly very important like you said when it comes to relationships, but I’ve never known anyone to make a non-relationship-related decision based solely on their sexual orientation.

Attachments

• 1662471855157.png
    1662471855157.png
    190 KB · Views: 0

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.