What is the definition of queer?

Reaction score
Queer is often used as a general description of someone who is part of the LGBTQI community but doesn’t specifically identify with any listed labels. In surveys that ask for sexual orientation, I will often select the ‘queer’ option if it is available simply because I don’t feel the need to be more specific.

However, queer is a reclaimed word. Some people are still uncomfortable with it, so they will avoid identifying as queer. I don’t mind it, but I feel that people not part of the LGBTQI community should only use ‘queer’ with caution. Especially don’t use that as a descriptor of someone unless they have explicitly told you that that is how they identify. In the past, it was a slur, and it still can be used as one.

Reaction score
It’s an umbrella term for all LGBTQ+ identities. But an individual can identify as queer, which has a broad meaning; people choose this because they don’t want a specific label, identify with the word, are still discovering what identity they want or may use it because they are attracted to a specific gender but are non-binary and don’t want to use gendering terms. One can also be queer, used for the same reasons but with gender. To put it simply not straight/cis. (Unless used by a questioning person who can change)
1673667113655.png
(There may be more reasons someone would identify with the word queer, but these are the things I can think of)

Reaction score
Queer is sometimes used to express that sexuality and gender can be complicated, change over time, and might not fit neatly into either/or identities, like male or female, gay or straight.

The word “queer” has the history to it that’s hurtful — “queer” used to be (and sometimes still is) used to put down or disrespect LGBT people. But more and more, people use the word with pride to identify themselves. So don’t call someone “queer” unless you know they’re cool with it. The best thing to do is ask what labels people prefer.

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.