what should i do about my mother?

Reaction score
My mother was just let off from her work, although she will receive the maximum amount of unemployment, plus she has recently received some calls for interviews. However, now that I'm 18, my father no longer pays child support to my mother. I'm working a lot right now, putting money into savings, spending money on petrol, and purchasing my own meals and beverages.

I reside between my parents' houses, yet when I see my mother, she is virtually always begging for money. My mother has always been needy and sometimes greedy with money, and I honestly feel this hasn't changed since I was 14 years old. She frequently messages and phones me, telling me how much "she's broke" and "needs so and so dollars." Although she doesn't ask for enormous sums, she will usually always ask for $20 and $30 there; that's a lot for me since I obviously don't make much on my work! I'm only 18 years old!

When we chat, she hardly never asks, "How are you doing?" They are always concerned about money. What am I meant to do about the fact that she recently requested for $30? I recently received 115 dollars, and I immediately handed her 60 dollars as my part, and I have around 20 dollars in petrol and approximately 15 dollars in savings. I hardly have anything left! I'm also sick of her lecturing me about how I'm a "selfish son" if I don't give her the money right away. As I already stated, I occasionally give her more than half of my money! How is this insufficient?

It honestly feels like I'm the only 18-year-old going through this, considering all of my peers appear to be doing well.

I wish to live with my father since my mother is brutal with money and other issues; they've never been handled, and I'm continuously anxious at my mother's house.

I want to live at my father's house, but every time I bring it up, my mother becomes enraged and tells me that "it won't fix anything" and that "you can't just go to your father's place."

This upsets me since I'm unhappy at my mother's place.

I know she'll be furious if I give the news to her. Not to mention that she has a lot of power over me.

The funny thing is, I'm just 18! Isn't it my right to live anywhere I choose now? I visit my father's house regularly, and I really want to live there; I'll do whatever it takes.

My two main inquiries are as follows:

A) Should I feel bad for not financially assisting my mother?
B) Should I move to my father's house, and if so, how will I tell my mother?

Reaction score
You're over the age of 18 and are legally considered an adult in most situations. This involves determining where you will reside.

Your thoughts of guilt are entirely your own. "No one can make you feel inferior without your agreement," Eleanor Roosevelt once stated. The same may be said about guilt. This isn't you being callous; it's you ending what might easily become a cycle of dependency.

Reaction score
Have you discussed this with your father?

What would your financial obligations be if you moved into his house?

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.