definition of femininity

Reaction score
And what exactly does it mean to be "masculine"? There must be more to being feminine and masculine than what our culture depicts gender roles to be.

Reaction score
Hmmm...I'm not sure...but I think it's less about habits like hand gestures or ways of speaking, or whether you're a "neat freak" or a total slob...and more about how you approach the world and perspective on life. For example, is it possible that a feminine person is more passive/receptive, whilst a masculine one is more active/aggressive?

According to this logic, a highly feminine person can talk in a baritone voice and be a total slob, both of which are attributes associated with masculine individuals.

Reaction score
I believe that because language is what we use to communicate, it has the same implications as masculinity and femininity, making it simpler for us to label objects and ideas. Labels appeal to humans because they facilitate comprehension.

Although the skirt appears masculine, I believe this is for historical reasons... And while society has evolved, the language has not. I'm not sure, just my ideas.

Reaction score
I have a somewhat different take on this. In my youth, all of the women were incredibly strong, performing the same work as the men, and were fundamentally just as tough. So seeing a woman wielding a hammer or bucking hay does not strike me as unfeminine, just as seeing a man in the kitchen does not strike me as unmasculine.

It is not so much what you do as it is who you are and who you want to be.

Simply do what you want to do and be who you want to be, and ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

Reaction score
I believe that we, rather than society, define what is masculine or feminine. People base their decisions on current fads. A male hairstylist or the like would have been branded homosexual no matter what 50 years ago. Today It's not as simple as that. It's socially acceptable to act in this manner. Who knows, maybe in another half-century homosexuals, lesbians, bisexuals, and trans individuals will be able to mix freely with heterosexuals without fear of persecution.

Reaction score
Society has defined what it means to be "masculine" and "feminine." However, male characteristics include a broader jaw, wider shoulders, and so on, whereas feminine characteristics include smaller facial features, wider hips, and so on. However, it is mostly related to testosterone/estrogen levels, so I'm not sure whether that is the same issue. However, things like how individuals dress, act, talk (apart from pitch), and style their hair... if it's deemed "masculine" or "feminine," those are merely societal standards.

Reaction score
I believe it varies from individual to person. Everyone has their own set of values and attractions, yet societal norms can influence or mould them in some way.

Reaction score
I don't have a definition. It is how I feel and behave. I'm not at all a manly dude. I'm highly emotional, I care what other people think, and I respect everyone. As a female, I find myself gravitating more. I exclusively wear feminine undergarments. So I'm not sure, but I believe it's the way you live your life and the emotions you experience. Only my two cents.

Reaction score
To be honest, whether their physical traits match their gender identification or not, that is the situation for the vast majority of transgender persons. Any transgender person is motivated to transition because they feel like an impostor in their assigned gender.

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.