How can I say?

Reaction score
How can I say to my family that I am lesbian?​
It depends on your family. How do they talk about homosexuality in general? If they are highly negative, do they need to know you’re gay?

If you don’t know how they would react you might start by picking a current real-life lesbian figure who isn’t hated for some reason and get a read on their reaction to her. It’ll give you an idea of where you might end up with them. If the reaction is mild, I might ease into it.

Something about how you and X are really close friends right now. Does your mom like X? What if I were to tell you X and I were a little more than friends?

Just don’t blurt out Mom, I’m a lesbian. Substitute Dad for Mom, or talk about how you’ve been looking for a special person, and what if I told you she should have long blonde hair?

If you really think they’ll be agitated and seriously upset, then write a letter. Try to explain how you got here. If appropriate talk about dating guys and how nothing kindled for you. Talk about how interest in girls awakened (G rated). Talk about how this wasn’t your plan. Tell them you’re the same person they loved yesterday.

I hope that helps. In an ideal world, you’d get unconditional love and support just for being you. I don’t know you but hugs anyway.​

Reaction score
How can I say to my family that I am lesbian?
I don’t know how old you are. I am guessing you are a teenager?

Believe me when I tell you that parents are usually a lot wiser than you give us credit for.

The chances are that your mum and dad already suspect you are lesbian. They are simply waiting for you to ‘come out to them, as they don’t want you to feel uncomfortable by them asking you.

So, my answer is to simply sit down with them, over a drink and tell them casually that you have lesbian feelings, without going gun-blazing and declaring “I AM A LESBIAN!”. See what their reaction is. You might be pleasantly surprised!​

Good Luck!

Reactions: CRW
Reaction score
It is essential for you to stand by your commitment to what you are in life. I don’t believe it is anything that you can change in your life as your love for a partner of the same sex will be just as strong if not stronger for the person you feel most comfortable with.

If your family loves you, they will either accept or embrace your choice in life or they must learn to live with something they don’t feel at ease with. Nobody has the right to interfere with the love you have for another human being. If they do it is their problem and their loss if, through their own bigotry, you shut them out of your life.

No members of your family, be they parents, brothers and sisters, or even grandparents, do not have automatic control over your life as blood relatives. Do your own thing and stand by the love you have chosen and enjoy the happiness you create with each other. And hope that one day they will see they are wrong and not you.

Staying firm on this for true love is a precious gift to find and share and worth preserving at all costs.

CRW

Reaction score
Im in a similar situation, and after talking to many people, It's hard to approach this but remember, that is who you are, and you should never hide your sexuality from anyone, including your parents. If your parents truly love you, they will accept you for who you are. Maybe it will take them some time, but eventually, they will come around. But know how to respect their boundaries and give them that time to digest what you told them. Good luck, and let us know! I could also use some insight on how to approach this with my family too...I'm still yet to come out to them but day by day I'm starting to drop hints and hopefully, they will catch on. But my situation is a little complicated because I live in a country where being a lesbian is frowned upon.

Last edited:

© 2022 LGBTQ and ALL. All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except as expressly permitted in writing by LGBTQ and ALL. LGBTQ and ALL is strictly editorial. LGBTQ and ALL does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.